Edna Purviance's bio

June 6, 2018 - Re-editing Edna Purviance's family biography 2nd Draft. Photo: Leading Ladies © used by ednapurviance.org

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

How do you pronounce Edna Purviance's name?

A question I am often asked is how did Edna pronounce her last name. I heard it pronounced different ways over the years. If you watch the 1959 version of The Chaplin Revue, you will clearly hear Charlie Chaplin say Edna's name correctly.

It is in in the beginning of the film, where Chaplin is showing his new studio in 1918. Chaplin did a voice over for the 1959 re-release and edits of his original films from First National.

This is how I knew Edna's name was pronounced, until I visited Nevada.

When I visited Paradise Valley, Winnemucca, and Lovelock, Edna's name was pronounced differently. Listen to this audio/video link with Lita Hill, Edna's grand niece, to learn how Edna Purviance pronounced her last name, officially.

No comments: